Friday, November 30, 2012

Northern Spain, I love you.

I feel like I have to dedicate some words to the incredible beauty of Northern Spain.  I think it might have a little to do with the constant rain, it has rained every day this week, including some serious thunder, hail, and even a small power outage.  Last week I was able to travel throughout even more of the amazing Spanish countryside.  Donald & Susie rented a car for their week here and it allowed for several interesting adventures.  We were able to visit a gorgeous church built along the Northern coast, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (gas-tell-oo-ga-chay) (I can never remember how to say/spell it), drive through La Rioja region for a winery tour and view the gorgeous mountainous area of Álava region, and through the winding coastal roads to San Sebastian.  On each of these trips I found myself in even more and more awe of the pure beauty of Northern Spain.  I have traveled these paths before, but I think they get more beautiful with time as many of the colors have changed and greens have deepened.  My eyes have been spoiled with gorgeous rolling lush green hills nestled in front of tall mountains with deep evergreen trees and pockets of golden and red trees as well.  The real treats are the valleys full of red, orange, yellow, and the most beautiful mix of fall trees filling your eyes with warmth and an unforgettable sight.  Every time I look I see something more beautiful than the sheep grazing on the side of a bright green mountainside, even more beautiful than an old Basque stone house jutting out of the mountain contrasted by lush green trees, if it's even possible, it gets better every time.  Maybe I'm growing a deeper appreciation for the beauty each time I see it, it's definitely not a sight I get at home, or maybe it's because I've been able to share it with some of the people I love most in this world, or maybe the weather changing is really making it more beautiful.  Either way, I needed to dedicate some words to this beautiful place, even though my words could never paint a picture to do it justice.  That's also the problem with trying to take a picture of this place, every time I take one the picture just doesn't seem good enough, doesn't do it justice.  I look at the picture and you can't come close to seeing all the different colors of leaves in the trees or the details in the towns.  Maybe it's also because the picture doesn't capture the feeling that seeing it with you own eyes gives you.  You can feel the beauty of this creation in your heart when you see it when it with your own eyes.  You can't capture this place with a lens, I merely hope that I can capture it enough with my eyes and hold the picture of this place, the feeling of this beautiful Northern Spain that I love, forever in my heart.


Kasey & I in front of the church, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
So many colors along the Northern coast, I love nature!



Callie & I with the fallen leaves in San Sebastian.
This is a picture from my first trip in September to La Rioja, the wine region of Spain. It's even prettier now with the changing leaves!

 I <3 Northern Spain.


Here's an article I found about the undiscovered gem that is Northern Spain.


Agur!! And I hope someday, you get to experience Northern Spain too!

No comments:

Post a Comment