Thursday, September 20, 2012

You're not from around here, are you?

Each day I walk to the university for class, I am reminded of my undeniable and unavoidable tendency to stick out like a sore thumb.  Deusto (my university) has many students, but a relatively small facility.  There is one main large building where most of the classes are held, so during breaks the courtyard outside the building is swarming with Spanish local students.  It has been quite interesting to observe these students, most of which are surrounded in a cloud of smoke, and I have learned a lot thus far, even though I have yet to get the chance to talk to them.  Now, even though my Spanish is improving, I would likely not be able to hold a conversation with them, if I ever worked up the guts to approach one.  However, I can only imagine what they think in their minds when they see me, as I can see the looks on their faces, usually an apparent, oh you're not from around here are you.  I may just happen to stick out a bit, and I'd like to think I'm not the "blend in to the crowd type."  But here, I couldn't hide it if I want to.  First off, it is HOT here.  The humidity makes you sweat when you're sleeping and I have yet to adjust to the blanket of water in the air that makes me feel so darn hot all the time.  "Siempre tengo calor." (I always have heat.)  So my outfits of choice thus far have consisted of shorts, skirts, tank-tops, and dresses; more of a summer wardrobe.  But it is September here, and apparently everyone actually from here is freezing.  So they are dressed in boots, sweaters, jackets, pants.  I could attempt to blend in and dress accordingly, but I'd probably drown in my own sweat.  (Yes, that is attractive as it sounds, and yes, I mean walk to class, dripping with sweat, kind of heat).  Besides that fact, I am about 4 or 5 inches, if not more, taller than over half of the girls here.  Everyone, with a few exceptions, are pencil thin, short, petite little girls.  I don't exactly fit that body type, with my broad shoulders and volleyball thighs.  I also found this reiterated to be true when I was trying to shop for a cute jacket, or dress, or anything with sleeves.  Every jacket I tried on, (XL might I add), felt like I was just short of ripping the back seam open, and hit me not too far below my elbows.  So, alas, I might be saving some money (too bad the jewelry is cute).  Also, being so tall, I can easily see the tops of the girls' heads and about 1/20 does not have dark hair.  So, my blonde self can't exactly cover that one up easily, short of going to a peluquería (hair salon), where most women walk out with red/purple/even blue hair.  These are the three dead giveaways that usually seem to give up my identity as an international student.  Of course, that doesn't even include my fair skin, which I could attempt to darken a couple shades, but let's be honest, red sticks out more than white (I don't think they really know how sunburned a person can be, and I'd not like to show them).  If those aren't dead giveaways, then my constant requests for repeating of phrases, "¿Qué?" and stumbling to come up with an answer, will surely do it.  The good news is, asides from the strange, "you're not from around here looks,"  everyone here has been very welcoming and understanding.  They appreciate my efforts at responding in somewhat correct Spanish and usually try to practice some of their English back to me as well.  I know that there are some things I can't change to blend in, but before we know it I'll be learning all of the culture, speaking like a pro, and see a tourist go by and think, "you're not from around here are you?"


-My inspiration for this blog came from a lovely elderly lady I held a door open for in a building, as I was wearing shorts, on somewhat of a cloudy day, but hot nonetheless.  "¿No tienes frío?" "Aren't you cold?" she asked me. I then explained to her, "Soy de estados unidense, no hay humedad en Colorado. Siempre tengo calor." I'm from America, there is no humidity in Colorado.  I am always hot," I explained as she obviously seemed confused that I was not freezing.  She smiled and laughed, mumbled some Spanish words I didn't manage to hear, gave me a pat on my butt, and went on with her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment