Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Oh hey Bilbao, nice to meet you...

The Guggenheim Museum
The view of Bilbao, on a rainy day, from the top of the funicular.
Well I have officially been in Bilbao for a week and a day now and have already learned so much about this bustling city.  Last Monday when I met my host mother Amaya (who hardly speaks any English) and moved into my room to unpack my things seems like a very long time ago.  We have packed so much into this past week that I can only imagine what the next ones will hold. I will try to briefly describe most of my experiences for sake of time, even though I usually end up rambling on in details of no pertinence.  For example, rambling on about why I ramble. Anyways, first impressions of Bilbao were amazing and intriguing.  It is not a real old city full of history, most inhabitants came here between the 40s-70s, but it is beautifully located among mountains (I would say just between mountains but it seems they are all around, which really messes up my sense of directions when the mountains aren't only to the West) and the ría (river fed by the ocean so it's salt water) cuts through the city.  There are lots of cranes along the river because of the old shipyards that were used because Bilbao was very much an industrialized port city.  It has since then transitioned into more of a tourism and human services type economy (maybe you've heard of the Guggenheim Museum), but one specific crane is left in it's place to signify how Bilbao first got it's start.  Before dinner, which wasn't til about 9 o'clock (which is really early, but more about food and time later!), Amaya, Tanisha (my roommate), and I went for a short walk near the river.  The apartment where we live is in Plaza Funicular (if you ever have a map, the funicular is a tram thing that takes you up the mountain, so it is usually marked on a map) which is about 3 blocks from the river and about a 5 minute walk to see the front of the Guggenheim (if that, I'm pretty bad at estimating time).  Amaya tried to tell us about the different bridges, shops, and places along the river, but once again, a long trip is not the best time to practice your Spanish listening skills!! After we returned for dinner, we had tortillas (like a giant egg omelet with potatoes and onions in it), and struggled through several attempts at conversations, Spanish/English dictionary in hand, I went to sleep for the first night in Bilbao.  The next few days were filled with orientations at the University of Deusto, followed by tours and several a siesta (naps, my favorite Spanish word).  Our ISA group and I took the funicular to the top of the mountain, walked through Casco Viejo (Old Town), toured the Guggenheim Museum and took a bit of time to chat while tasting pinxtos (peen-chos), which are like pieces of bread with whatever you can dream of on the top.  We had some time to hang out together and get to know each other, between our constant new experiences.  Then finally we made it to the weekend where we had some time to relax.  Bilbao has had a great first impression on me, and I have enjoyed getting to know it so much better each day.  There are always people bustling about, running by the river, riding bikes, having drinks on patios, kids running everywhere, well except during siesta.  I have been mostly welcomed everywhere I go, even though always weird stares because of my height (all ladies around here are about 5 inches shorter than me at least), my blonde hair (everyone here has dark hair, everyone), and my fair skin.  It is a not too big, just big enough city that I discover something new each day. Like today I found a Plaza Nueva with a coffee place in it not only with a nice lounge, but free Wifi as well.  The giant chocolate muffin I got didn't hurt either.

Old building in Bilbao's Casco Viejo
The old crane

No comments:

Post a Comment