Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Day in the Life...

I haven't been feeling all too inspired to write lately, so my apologies on not having a new post recently.  I will, hopefully, post some recounts of my trips to Lake Como, Italy, and my experiences of the past weekend (kayaking, hiking, etc.), but I'm not real interested in thinking that much right now.  So instead, I decided I'd post about something much easier to think about, mainly, what I do on a regular day here.  I have to admit it is a bit weird having been here for about three weeks already.  I realize I have quickly fallen into a routine of things, which helps pass the time.  So anyways, I have class Monday through Thursday, starting at 10:00am, except on Thursdays I start at 9:00am.  Each day, I wake up, make my bed, get ready for class, etc.  Getting dressed usually takes a little more thought, because students around here dress what I would consider "nice" for class.  The good news is my mom only let me pack three t-shirts, so I have no choice but to wear what others might call "normal" clothes.  It is definitely a change from my usual shorts and t-shirt, but I suppose a change for the best.  Breakfast is two pieces of toast, with butter and jam (either apricot or strawberry, whatever our host mom buys), sometimes Special K with milk (also, the milk here doesn't have to be refrigerated before opening, because it is processed a different way, so that's a bit strange), sometimes some fruit (pears or apples), and typically I mix up my choice of beverages, just to keep it interesting.  Either water, juice, or my "hot chocolate" I mix up.  It is just milk, cocoa, and sugar heated up in the microwave, but lately it is too hot in the morning to drink it without making my face feel like I'm sitting in a sauna.  My walk to the university takes about 15 minutes if I'm on time, 10 minutes if I'm in a hurry.  I try to leave earlier so I don't have to walk too fast, otherwise I show up to class looking like a melting ice cube.  I live in a pretty great neighborhood, with a school not too far away, so I see lots of adorable kids in their school uniforms walking to school.  It is a nice walk, next to the river, past many different shops, and the Guggenheim.  There are usually people running, riding bikes, and walking their dogs, so a very pleasant walk.  Then I start class with Spanish, either composition or conversation.  My professor is hilarious and it usually makes the 2 or 3 hours go by very quickly.  There is always a 20 minute break between 10:50-11:10am.  This is usually a great time to hit up the cafe (they have napolitanas/croissants filled with chocolate, and fresh squeezed orange juice for 2.55 euros, my favorite combination) or the vending machines (chocolate croissants for 1 euro or a Coca Cola for 1 euro).  These places are usually packed with students though, so sometimes it's easier to stay put in the classroom (also a good way to save money).  I find that the most amusing vending machine is the one that dispenses small plastic cups of coffee, whichever way you like it.  I don't drink coffee, which is a good thing, because the line for that is usually 10 people long.  People here really love their cafe con leche (coffee with milk).  For lunch on Mondays and Tuesdays, my host mom usually makes me a "bocadillo"(sandwich/a baguette with cheese and meat) and a piece of fruit because I don't have enough time to walk back to the house.  Then I finish my classes with International Business and International Marketing until 4 or 5:30pm.  On Wednesday and Thursday I finish class at noon and come home for lunch.  After classes I usually come home and hang out for a bit or go hang out with some amigas.  It is fun to go sit at a restaurant and have a pincho (small sandwiches or little snack like foods) and talk before dinner.  Dinner isn't usually until around 9:30pm, so a snack before then is usually necessary.  But after dinner and a shower, I try to start my homework because I probably haven't finished it (oops).  Then eventually, usually around midnight, I will finally get to sleep.  I've found telling myself to go to bed earlier doesn't help because you can usually always have a siesta the next day if you are lacking sleep (siestas are awesome).  So anyways, sorry if this post is too long or dull, I'm not feeling very poetic today, but thought I had better give some sort of update.  I will hopefully post something more interesting next time and some pictures.  Tomorrow I am going to try my hand at surf lessons and this weekend we have an excursion to Pamplona (where the running of the bulls takes place) and Logrono (to visit a winery).  So I promise my next post will have pictures and more excitement!!

No comments:

Post a Comment