Monday, August 27, 2012

Ready, Set...Wait it's Time to Go?

Being a student at the University of Denver, you hear about studying abroad all the time.  Almost everyone does it and they make the process pretty simple.  I remember my campus visit during my junior year of high school and hearing about the study abroad opportunity.  It was so exciting to hear about the opportunities and adventures that students experience abroad, and at that moment I knew that I just had to go.  Last fall began the information sessions, the student stories, and hearing all about the wonders of studying in a foreign country.  Then came the endless cycle of gathering information on the hundred different country options and making a decision.  After some deliberation and on a bit of a whim, Bilbao, Spain became the future destination of my explorations abroad.  Finalizing all of the paperwork and forms seemed endless, but finally the list was all checked off.  Now I am down to my final days at home and I haven't quite wrapped my mind around what lies ahead of me.  I can't believe I'm about to go on such a journey.  In less than a week (I fly out Thursday morning), I will be in a different country, and won't be coming home in only a matter of a few weeks (try 16 or so).  I'm very excited for the adventures I will have, yet very anxious for what lies in the unknown.  Even as I type it, I still can't believe this is for real life!  Maybe it will hit me when I'm at the airport and boarding my plane.  Of course I have some time to think about it during my six hour layover in Toronto.  Maybe it wont hit me until I'm moved into my host family's house in Bilbao.  Either way, I know I'm lucky to have such an opportunity to experience such an adventure, that I hope I will never forget.  So here's to taking a big leap into a big adventure, but first I bettter pack!!!

-Whitney

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment